Opening Date: 15th February, 2021
Closing Date: 19th February, 2021
The University of The Gambia, the premier University in The Gambia offers various degrees at different levels in different fields. UTG being an equal employment opportunity provider respects the legally protected universal characteristics. As such, qualified and experienced persons are encouraged to apply for the following position to the WASCAL Project: Scientific Coordinator for WASCAL GSP.
Job Title: Scientific Coordinator for WASCAL GSP
Job Family: WASCAL PROJECT
Reports to: The Director of WASCAL
- Job Description
The job of the Scientific Coordinator is to support the Director of the Graduate Study Programme (GSP) in conducting strategic scientific activities such as:
- Supporting the students in their daily scientific activities
- Facilitating the publication of papers by students in relevant reputable journals;
- Ensures that each graduate student attends at least, one international scientific meeting to present a paper;
- Organization of scientific meetings;
- Proposal development for research grants, development grants and other means of raising funds for the Centre;
- Development of short-courses, other training programmes;
- Guiding and assisting doctoral or masters students in writing skills, proposal developments; the art of scientist writing, science communications, grant writing, research management, research ethics and research design;
- Ensures zero-plagiarism at the WASCAL Graduate School;
- Offer further necessary academic and administrative support to students on PhD and MSc programmes as appropriate;
- Minimum Qualifications
- The minimum qualification is a PhD degree relevant to the GSP programme.
- Being a doctoral graduate of WASCAL or a scientist in the relevant areas will of advantage.
- Verifiable publication of scientific papers in reputable journals.
- Required Job-related Skills and Competencies
- Excellent ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form;
- Being bilingual (French and English languages) will be advantageous. Notwithstanding, candidates must be very fluent in the dominant language used at the GSP;
- A proven track record of establishing and maintaining strong relationships
- A proactive approach to problem-solving, delivering results and meeting expectations
- Ability to manage multiple projects;
- A proven and demonstrable ability to attract international research and development grants; ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the GSP;
- A proven track record of academic excellence to command the respect of students, colleagues and relevant communities;
- At least, some relevant experience as a scientist, project leadership or management;
- At least, some experience in fundraising, entrepreneurial drive, resource and revenue mobilization to ensure financial stability;
- Demonstrable creativity and innovation;
- Demonstrate critical thinking and the ability to organize scientific meetings and solve problems;
- Leadership qualities that could inspire and motivate students and subordinates to achieve the goals of the GSP;
- Appropriate academic, research and administrative experiences;
- A high level of computer literacy;
- Ability to adapt and respond to change.
Please address and deliver electronically ONLY, all applications to Human Resource Directorate, University of The Gambia, Peace Building, Kanifing Campus through the following emails: email@example.com. firstname.lastname@example.org