Job Openings: University of the Gambia WASCAL
Opening Date: September 14, 2023
Closing Date: September 28, 2023
Established in 1999, the University of The Gambia (UTG) is a growing and dynamic university committed to supporting the socio-economic and environmental transformation of The Gambia and the sub-region through relevant and high-quality education to respond to the Gambia’s National Development Agenda, the African Union Agenda 2063 and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 2030.
UTG is offering a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes including doctorate programmes in key areas central to the national, regional and continental development needs of Africa. With several campuses in Banjul, Kanifing, Brikama, Faraba and Farafenni, UTG provides access to higher education to about 7,000 students, including international students every year.
The West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adapted land use (WASCAL) was established for all 15 West African countries with the support of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) to enhance their resilience to climate change. The Capacity Building Department of WASCAL was established by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) in collaboration with West African countries under the umbrella of ECOWAS in a view to educating well-trained climate experts. The target is to have one thousand (1,000) experts in thematic areas currently hosted by 12 Lead Universities in 11 West African Countries including 2 in Nigeria and one (1) each in Togo, Benin, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Senegal, The Gambia, Burkina-Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Cabo Verde respectively.
Job Title: Deputy Director (WASCAL)
Job Family: Administration
Reports to: UTG/WASCAL Director
The Deputy Director shall assist the Director in the performance of his/her functions; and will be responsible for enhancing the internal management functions that allow the institution to continue to operate effectively and efficiently in fulfilling its mission. He/she shall hold office for 5 years and may be eligible for reappointment for another term.
Key tasks and responsibilities include
- Supervising students and staff in the operations of the program,
- Facilitating communications between the Program and UTG Management, The Gambia government, international organizations, and other stakeholders,
- Organizing scientific meetings, Seminars, and Conferences,
- Developing proposals for research grants, development grants, and other means of raising funds for the Program and UTG,
- Developing and implementing short courses and other training programs;
- Guiding and assisting UTG/WASCAL students in proposal development; scientific writing, science communications, proposal/grant writing, research management, research ethics and research design;
- Overseeing academic programs to ensure zero-plagiarism at the WASCAL Program;
- Coordinating and producing Progress Reports,
- Offering any other necessary academic and administrative support to the Director, students, and staff as appropriate;
- Report to the UTG/WASCAL Director.
7. OTHER FUNCTIONS
- Perform other functions as delegated by the Director.
Applicants must address the selection criteria in the Application Form when applying for this position. In addition to the submission of a CV, the Application Form must be completed to be considered.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Ph.D. degree in a climate change-related discipline which is highly required or a Ph.D. in an education discipline.
- Being a full-time staff of UTG, a WASCAL Alumnus, or any Gambian citizen.
- Verifiable publication of scientific journal papers in reputable journals. Excellent negotiating skills as well as exceptional reporting and communication skills.
- Strong command of the English language with the ability to communicate technical matters effectively to non-specialists.
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form;
- Appropriate academic, research, and administrative experiences;
Desirable Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Being bilingual (French and English languages) will be advantageous. Notwithstanding, candidates must be very fluent in the dominant language used at the Graduate Studies Program (GSP) which is English Language;
- Desirable and demonstrable ability to attract international research and development grants;
- At least, some experience in fundraising, entrepreneurial drive, resource and revenue mobilization to ensure financial stability;
- A high level of computer literacy;
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- The package is very attractive.
HOW TO APPLY
All application materials (including a current Curriculum Vitae and UTG application Form) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com not later than 28th September 2023. Attention: Address the application to the Director of Human Resources, Peace Building, Kanifing Campus. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews at short notice and the successful applicant should be available to assume duty immediately. For details on the job responsibilities and application form, kindly click on the link utg.edu.gm/jobs.
Please contact Professor Sidat Yaffa, UTG/WASCAL Director on 3650028 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for further enquiries.
Note: Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.