Job Openings: University of the Gambia (UTG)
Opening Date: May 31, 2023
Closing Date: June 15, 2023
The University of The Gambia (UTG), the premier University in The Gambia offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in different fields. UTG being an equal employment opportunity provider respects the legally protected universal characteristics. As such, qualified and experienced persons are encouraged to apply for the following IT position:
Job Title: Software Developer
Reports to: Director of Information Technology
Number Position: 3
Job Family: Administration (Directorate of Information Technology)
The Software Developers report to and support the Director of Information Technology in ensuring the delivery of efficient, client-oriented technology and corporate services and solutions for the overall effectiveness of the institution. The role is responsible for leading the effort to digitize and transform the University into an IT-enabled workforce, as well as the efficient and optimal running of the University.
Key tasks and responsibilities include
1. Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC):
- Collaborate with the development team to design, develop, test, deploy, and maintain software applications following the SDLC.
- Understand and analyze requirements provided by stakeholders and translate them into technical specifications.
- Participate in all phases of the SDLC, including requirements gathering, system design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
2. Requirements Gathering and Analysis:
- Interact with stakeholders to understand their software requirements and objectives.
- Assist in creating user stories, use cases, and requirements specification documents.
- Provide insights and suggestions to improve the requirements gathering process.
3. System Design:
- Contribute to the software architecture and system design decisions.
- Collaborate with the team to define software and hardware requirements.
- Assist in creating high-level and low-level design documents.
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable code using industry best practices.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure proper coding standards and version control.
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback.
- Conduct unit testing to ensure the functionality of individual components.
- Participate in integration testing to verify the interaction between components.
- Assist in system testing and acceptance testing to ensure the software meets the desired requirements.
6. Technical Writing:
- Create clear and concise technical documentation, including user manuals, installation guides, and API documentation.
- Communicate complex technical concepts effectively to both technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Ensure documentation is up-to-date and aligned with the software development progress.
7. Deployment and Maintenance:
- Assist in deploying software applications to production environments.
- Collaborate with infrastructure teams to configure servers and ensure smooth deployment.
- Provide ongoing support for bug fixes, updates, and maintenance activities.
Qualification and experience:
A. Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar;
B. 3+ years web application development using Backend tools such as: Laravel, NodeJS, Django, etc.
C. 3+ years of using contemporary Frontend frameworks and libraries (e.g., Tailwind, Livewire, Bootstrap, VueJS, React, jQuery, React Native, Flutter).
D. Excellent understanding of REST API, design patterns and OOP concepts,
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies that includes CI/CD (e.g., Jenkins, Bamboo, GitLab, GitHub) and version control system (e.g., Git, SVN, TFS).
- 2+ years development using cloud platforms such as Azure, AWS or DigitalOcean, etc.
- Ability to learn new programming languages and technologies
- Excellent knowledge of the software development life cycle and strong problem-solving and communication skills
- Experience in Mobile Application Development would be an advantage
- Experience with software design and development in a test-driven environment
- Excellent teamwork and communication abilities
- Resourcefulness, troubleshooting aptitude and attention to detail.
HOW TO APPLY
All application materials (CV and Application Form) to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com not later than June 15, 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews at a short notice and the successful applicants should be available to assume duty immediately.
For details on the job responsibilities and application form, kindly click on the link utg.edu.gm/jobs