CALL FOR APPLICATIOS FOR ADMISSION
(2020/2021 ACADEMIC YEAR)
The University of The Gambia is pleased to invite applications for admission into its 43-month Ph.D. degree programme in Climate Change and Education to be offered at UTG Kanifing Campus, commencing January, 2022.
The West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL), under the sponsorship of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is pleased to announce the 2020/2021 academic year applications for the Doctoral Degree Programme in Climate Change and Education attainable at University of The Gambia (UTG). The program is a West African international programme with focus on academic and transdisciplinary research, building graduate-level scientific capacity that will serve the policymakers in West Africa with science-based advice on adaptation to climate change impacts and land use management. The programme is available to only West African citizens with good and strong academic background in any undergraduate discipline of study. The programme will be fully funded by German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) together with West Africa member country contributions. The mission of the programme is to provide information and knowledge services at the local, national, and regional levels to West African member countries to cope with the adverse impacts of climate change.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The main objectives of the programme are to (1) train West African leaders on climate change education in order to enhance the adaptation capabilities of policy makers and vulnerable communities in West Africa, (2) enhance climate change education at the basic, secondary, tertiary, and higher education institutions in West Africa, (3) provide climate education services to NGOs that serve the underprivileged communities in West Africa.
- The programme is open to applicants from, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, The Gambia, and Togo.
- A BSc. degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 (i.e. B+) or better.
- Any other equivalent qualification from any other institution recognized by The University of The Gambia Senate.
- A qualification in an education discipline would be an added advantage.
- Holders of a master’s degree in any field of study with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average B+
- The applicant’s age should not be more than 40 years of age at the end of December 2021.
- Have a good English Language proficiency (both written and spoken)
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
TRAINING AND RESEARCH
The training consists of both academic and research components. At the beginning, the selected applicant will be sent for a 4-month language (English or French) course in either Ghana (for English Language) or Togo (for French Language). The academic component lasts for 6 months with 24 different Modules run once every week. The research component lasts for 24 months with 6 months added for research data analyses and Dissertation writing. There will be funding for the student to travel to any academic institution in Germany for 6 months for laboratory work and experiential learning.
WORKING LANGUAGE AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
The working language of the programme is English, and the application requirements are found in the attached application form. Only short-listed candidates will be notified for an interview. A scholarship letter will be sent to the selected candidate by WASCAL Headquarters.
SCHOLARSHIP AND RESEARCH SUPPORT
- The successful applicant will receive a monthly stipend of 350 Euro.
- Full tuition for the successful applicant will be paid by WASCAL.
- Research funds will also be made available to students after approval of their research proposal by their advisor/supervisor, the DRP Coordination and WASCAL headquarters.
- Travel ticket for language courses in Ghana or Togo
- Travel ticket to Germany plus a monthly allowance during the stay in Germany
- A new laptop on loan for the duration of the programme.
The graduate of the programme will have job opportunities with government institutions, in universities as Lecturers, Researchers, Administrators, or as Climate Change Negotiators at the UN level. Work for international organizations as UN Food and Agriculture Organization, Islamic Development Bank, African Development Bank, International Non-Government Organizations, etc.
- Student’s copy of official transcripts
- Updated CV
- A one-page motivational letter
- Completed application form
CALL START DATE: 19th April, 2021
CALL END DATE: 30th May, 2021
Application forms are available online at www.wascal.org under UTG/WASCAL Programme. Completed application form, together with photocopies of relevant certificates and other supporting documents should be submitted online to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com.
For further information, please contact Professor Sidat Yaffa of UTG/WASCAL Programme at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel 3650028.