Reports to: Vice-Chancellor
Job Family: Academic
Established in 1999, the University of The Gambia (UTG) is a growing and dynamic university committed to supporting the socio-economic and environmental transformation of The Gambia and the sub-region through relevant and high-quality education to respond to the Gambia’s National Development Agenda, the African Union Agenda 2063 and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 2030.
UTG is offering a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate including doctorate research programmes in key areas central to national and regional development needs of Africa. With several campuses in Banjul, Kanifing, Brikama, Faraba and Farafenni, UTG provides access to higher education to about 7,000 students including international students every year. The UTG seeks to appoint a Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Teaching and Learning). Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, this key position is responsible for developing and implementing the University’s strategy to promote and enhance all aspects of quality in teaching and learning.
The Deputy Vice Chancellor position is a key strategic position which provides an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to play a major role in achieving UTG’s strategic goals as part of a dynamic senior management team. The Deputy \vice Chancellor for Teaching and Learning (DVC-Teaching and Learning) shall assist the Vice Chancellor in the performance of his/her management functions; and will be responsible for providing leadership in driving quality and excellence in delivering teaching and learning programmes in accordance with the university’s strategic objectives.
The DVC (Learning and Teaching) shall oversee the work of the Deans in the School/Faculty in collaboration with the Senior Management Team, Senate and other stakeholders in reviewing existing programmes, development of new programmes and recruitment of academic teams of the highest calibre to support teaching and learning. She/he must attain a professorial status with an excellent track record of leadership and academic achievements including senior management and administrative experience, directing various teams in teaching and learning programmes, curriculum development, accreditation and quality assurance, student engagement, retention and employability, reporting on learning and teaching priorities/achievements and other institutional development undertakings at university level. He/she shall hold office for 3 years and may be eligible for reappointment for one term with the approval of the Senate and Council.
Key tasks and responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic direction for the advancement of teaching and learning programmes for quality and academic excellence.
- Providing visionary and dynamic leadership in the learning and teaching programmes working with academic, library and administrative teams for continuous improvement, positive change and to drive innovation for student satisfaction, student success and employability.
- Develop relationships and networks with key internal/external stakeholders including development partners, regulatory and statutory authorities for curriculum design, review, validation/accreditation, implementation and management of teaching and learning programmes.
- Lead the identification of capacity gaps of staff and design of training programmes to enhance personnel and collective development of staff.
- Establish a framework to nurture and enhance the capacity of the next generation of academic leaders.
- COORDINATING TEACHING AND LEARNING PROGRAMMES
- Oversee the planning and the delivery of the University’s teaching and learning programmes.
- Oversee academic policies, processes, structures and resources aimed at improving quality and ensuring excellence in teaching and learning.
- Coordinate the institutional and academic workforce planning process to address gaps in staffing to improve quality in teaching and learning.
- Coordinate performance reviews to assess skills and aspirations of teaching staff; and introduce relevant professional training opportunities based on the development needs of the staff involved in teaching and learning
- CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT, ACCREDITATION AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Ensure academic compliance with the National Accreditation and Quality Assurance Authority (NAQAA) and other equivalent regional and international standards where required.
- Implement structures and processes aimed at increasing quality assurance in the delivery of teaching programmes.
- Implement structures and processes aimed at improving the quality of teaching and learning experience.
- Coordinate the modernisation of the curriculum, including the re-accreditation of existing courses and the submissions of new courses for accreditation as needed.
- Ensure alignment of courses with the National Development Plan of The Gambia, the African Union Agenda 2063 and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 2030 as closely as possible.
- STUDENT RECRUITMENT, ENGAGEMENT, RETENTION AND EMPLOYABILITY
- Oversee both student recruitment and face-to-face and online delivery of teaching and learning, aligned with the strategic plan to ensure the academic standards are always maintained.
- Lead innovation in pedagogy, teaching and assessment methods to increase student engagement, retention and improvement in student learning outcomes.
- Regularly monitor, analyse and provide recommendations from course evaluations to improve student satisfaction, retention and completion rates.
- Develop initiatives and other institutional development projects aimed at increasing engagements with students, employers and other stakeholders to improve employability
- Report to the Vice Chancellor on the School/Departmental KPIs, corporate KPIs/Dashboard relating to teaching and learning, in line with the university strategic plan.
- Inform the University community/stakeholders about current learning and teaching initiatives across the University.
- OTHER FUNCTIONS
- Perform other management functions as may be delegated by the Vice Chancellor
Applicants are expected to address the selection criteria in the application form when applying for this position. In addition to the submission of a CV, the Application Form must be completed to be considered.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
A. Professor as per criteria enshrined in Conditions of Service of the University of The Gambia (UTG).
B. 10 years post qualification experience preferably in university administration or institutions of similar standing, the last four of which shall be at Senior Management level as Dean and Head of Department or Chair of Academic/Teaching and Learning Committees.
C. Excellent time management and organizational skills with proven ability to guide and direct senior teaching staff in dealing with multiple tasks, establishing priorities and meeting competing deadlines in delivering teaching and learning programmes.
D. Excellent track record of working with stakeholders for resource mobilization in a university or similar organization with ability to coordinate a successful and efficient investment of the resource mobilized.
E. Significant experience and knowledge of curriculum design, accreditation, quality assurance working with statutory and regulatory authorities and other stakeholders in implementing teaching and learning programmes, and assessment of learning and improvement of student outcomes.
F. Significant experience and knowledge of workforce planning, recruitment, staff training and development to respond to gaps and to improve quality in teaching and learning programmes
G. Knowledge of performance management – monitoring, tracking and assessing the performance of Schools/Faculties, teaching and learning programmes and developing action plans for continuous improvement.
H. Significant experience in student recruitment and engagement, and institutional development projects and initiatives for student success and employability.
I. Strong command of English Language and effective communication in writing and orally.
Desirable Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
J. Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability to interact with colleagues and other stakeholders on teaching and learning projects on behalf of the University.
K. Knowledge of technology and the use of learning/teaching technologies such as Blackboard/Moodle, Enterprise resource planning (ERP) software or similar tools for academic planning and/or resource management
L. Experience in the development of research/publications relating to pedagogy, curriculum development and related areas to improve teaching and learning environment and student outcomes.
M. Training and experience in strategic planning and managing change in the tertiary/higher education sector.
SALARY AND BENEFITS – The package is very attractive and consists of a basic salary and other benefits including housing allowance, chauffeur-driven official car, tuition waiver at UTG for two biological children, payment of retention allowance, payment of responsibility allowance, free internet facilities, travel, travel-related expenses and shipment of personal effects if applicable.
HOW TO APPLY
All application materials (CV and Application Form) to be sent to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill the online form [https://forms.gle/WRhYkGiTkXgYdcxz8] not later than 30th June 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews at short notice and the successful applicant should be available to assume duty immediately.
Please contact Dr. Tarro, University Registrar at email@example.com for further enquires.