Reports to: Vice-Chancellor
Job Family: Academic
Established in 1999, the University of The Gambia (UTG) is a growing and dynamic university committed to supporting the socio-economic and environmental transformation of The Gambia and the sub-region through relevant and high-quality education to respond to the Gambia’s National Development Agenda, the African Union Agenda 2063 and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 2030.
UTG is offering a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes including doctorate programmes in key areas central to the national, regional and continental development needs of Africa. With several campuses in Banjul, Kanifing, Brikama, Faraba and Farafenni, UTG provides access to higher education to about 7,000 students including international students every year. The research profile of the university is evolving with the introduction of a university administered grant scheme and growing partnerships with stakeholders such as other universities, government ministries, national and international development organisations and funding institutions. The University of The Gambia (UTG) seeks to appoint a Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation). Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, this key position is responsible for developing and implementing the University’s strategy to promote and enhance research, knowledge transfer and innovation, to support both teaching and learning and to facilitate socio-economic and environmental transformation, working with government, private sector, civil society, national and international development partners.
The Deputy Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation is a key strategic position which provides an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to play a major role in achieving UTG’s strategic goals as part of a dynamic senior management team. The Deputy Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation (DVC- Research and Innovation) shall assist the Vice Chancellor in the performance of his/her management functions; and will be responsible for providing leadership in driving quality and excellence in research, knowledge transfer and innovation programmes, setting up the research infrastructure, development of the research environment, and formulation of research policies in accordance with the university’s strategic objectives.
The DVC (Research and Innovation) shall oversee the work of staff in the Directorate of Research and Consultancy, the Deans in the School/Faculty in collaboration with the Senior Management Team, Senate and other stakeholders in the review of existing research portfolio, development of new research programmes and recruitment of academic teams of the highest calibre to support research, knowledge transfer and innovation. He/she must attain a full professorial status with an excellent track record of leadership and academic achievements, including senior management experience, resource mobilisation, coordinating research and innovation programmes, managing research grant schemes, particularly research outputs to inform teaching and learning, and engagement with stakeholders through policy dialogues, reporting on research priorities/achievements and other institutional development projects at the University level. He/she shall hold office for 5 years and may be eligible for reappointment for another term with the approval of the Council.
Key tasks and responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic direction for the advancement of research, knowledge transfer and innovation to support both quality education and engagement with stakeholders to maximise socio-economic and environmental impact.
- Design the overall research programme to respond to the policies/strategies agreed by the Governing Council, University Senior Management Team and, where appropriate, the Senate.
- Provide strategic partnerships with Government policy makers, private sector, civil society, national and international partners to sensitise them on the university’s research strategy and to develop research programmes to respond to the priorities of various stakeholders.
- Develop relationships and networks with key internal and external stakeholders for the dissemination of research outputs and to influence and shape the development of national policy relating to research.
- Work with the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Teaching and Learning), and Senior Management Team, to promote a culture of research-informed teaching/learning across the University to enhance students’ experience.
- Promote a culture of knowledge generation and sharing through research and publication of research outputs, application of research and innovation to develop the next generation of leaders.
2. RESOURCE MOBILISATION
- Develop a resource mobilisation strategy to attract funding for research and consultancy.
- Lead the University’s innovation and commercialization strategy including the protection of intellectual assets, through building of strategic alliances with Government, industry, local and international research institutes.
- Work closely with internal/external stakeholders to support the development of philanthropic giving for investment in research and innovation.
- Develop bilateral relationships of mutual benefit to generate funding for research and consultancy, working with partner universities, regional, national and international alliances and networks.
- Work with the Senior Management Team and Deans to ensure that emerging technology platforms are implemented so that opportunities for external funding are fully exploited.
3. COORDINATING RESEARCH AND INNOVATION PROGRAMMES
- Oversee the planning and delivery of the University’s research, knowledge transfer and innovation programmes.
- Initiate policies, processes, and structures aimed at developing a research culture, improving quality, and enhancing the dissemination and impact of research outputs.
- Promote interdisciplinary research in the University’s funding programme to ensure that priority activities are considered with targets to track progress.
- Coordinate the workforce planning process to address gaps in staffing, develop initiatives to attract, develop and retain researchers of the highest quality including higher degrees by research.
- Coordinate performance reviews to assess skills/aspirations of research staff; and introduce training opportunities based on the development needs of staff.
4. MANAGING AND ADMINISTERING RESEARCH AWARD SCHEMES
- Work with the Director of Research and Consultancy, Deans, Heads of Departments and staff to grow external research income and champion a change in research culture.
- Foster excellence in research and knowledge transfer through critical evaluation of proposals for quality, effectiveness and impact.
- Negotiate and manage external research contracts and consultancies.
- Support the Director of Research and Consultancy to deliver the University’s medium and long-term research priorities and aspirations.
- Provide support to staff and students engaged in research and consultancy.
- Set standards for research branding, quality assurance and control.
5. GOVERNANCE AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
- Maintain the highest standards of research governance, ethics, integrity and meeting the reporting requirements of funders including the university administered grants.
- Report to the Vice Chancellor focusing on delivering the School/Departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)/corporate (KPIs) in the Dashboard relating to research in line with the university’s strategic plan.
- Inform the University community/stakeholders about current research, knowledge transfer and innovation initiatives across the University.
6. OTHER FUNCTIONS
- Perform other management functions as may be delegated by the Vice Chancellor.
Applicants are expected to address the selection criteria in the Application Form when applying for this position. In addition to the submission of a CV, the Application Form must be completed to be considered.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
A. Professor as per criteria enshrined in Conditions of Service of the University of The Gambia (UTG).
B. 10 years post qualification experience preferably in university administration or institutions of similar standing, the last four of which shall be at Senior Management level as Dean and Head of Departments or Chair of Research, Knowledge Transfer and Innovation Committees.
C. Excellent time management and organizational skills with proven ability in guiding and directing senior research staff in dealing with proposal writing, grant application, establishing research priorities and in delivering complex research programmes.
D. Excellent track record of working with stakeholders for resource mobilization to support research programmes as coordinator, team leader, principal investigator, co-investigator in a university or similar organization, with ability to successfully implement research projects.
E. Significant publication record with experience in conducting PhD examinations, supervising research programmes including successful PhD and research completion.
F. Significant experience in working across academic disciplines and knowledge of developing research clusters and centres of excellence to improve coordination, quality, and to enhance research outputs and impact.
G. Knowledge of performance management systems for monitoring, tracking and assessing the performance of research projects/programmes of staff, Schools/Faculties, and developing action plans for continuous improvement.
H. Significant experience in PhD student recruitment and securing industry sponsored research projects, and other research initiatives.
I. Strong command of English Language with effective research communication skills in writing (such as tailor-made publications for high level policy-makers, ministers, parliamentarians and other users of research outputs) and orally (such as in policy dialogues, high level ministerial conferences and media briefing).
Desirable Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
J. Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability to interact with colleagues and other stakeholders on research, knowledge transfer and innovation projects.
K. Knowledge and the use of technologies such as Enterprise resource planning (ERP) software or similar tools for academic planning, research and resource management.
L. Training and experience in strategic planning and managing change in tertiary/higher education sector.
SALARY AND BENEFITS – The package is very attractive and consist of a basic salary and other benefits including housing allowance, chauffeur-driven official car, tuition waiver at UTG for two biological children, payment of retention allowance, payment of responsibility allowance, free internet facilities, travel, travel related expenses and shipment of personal effects if applicable.
HOW TO APPLY
All application materials (CV and Application Form) to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com or fill the online form [https://forms.gle/WRhYkGiTkXgYdcxz8] not later than 30th June 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews at short notice and the successful applicant should be available to assume duty immediately.
Please contact Dr. Tarro, University Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org for further enquires.